Saturday, August 11, 2012

I'm getting married in 2 WEEKS!

Engagement Party

Now is the time where calm, meditative breathing is very important.  I am getting married in two weeks!  Otherwise known as 14 days.  Not even 14 days, more like 13 days and 23 hours.  W O W.  The past year has just flown.  By this time two weeks from now, my fiance and I will be officially married!  We'll be done with pictures, back at the reception, going through the line at the burrito bar and just absolutely thrilled that we made it to the big day, and that it went off without a hitch.  Oh I am so ready for this moment, we both are.  Wedding planning is fun, but it is also a job in itself.  It really makes me understand how people with money can just dole out the cash and hand this task over to someone else.  Then again, where's the fun in that?! :)

Nick and I had big plans today to wake up lazily, mull around the house, cook something new and delicious, and just relax and enjoy our weekend.  Reality Check!  We're getting married in 2 weeks, now it's time to kick into high gear and pull all the "little things" together.  The devil really is in the details, and I'm just remembering that we haven't even bought dessert plates.  Regardless, the day is going to happen one way or another, and I am going to enjoy it to the fullest.  I will be posting pictures of the day after I get back from my honeymoon. 

My goal here for this blog posting is to give you 5 tips on how to make your wedding greener.  I'm not an expert, but this is my personal advice to you, whoever you are, and whoever finds this interesting.

1.  Go recycled/compostable - Can't afford the fine china and silverware?  If you can't go reusable, then at least you can provide the next best option.  There's plenty of plate and dinnerware options that are friendly to your wallet and also the environment.  Plus, I like the raw cardboard look, it works with a lot of outdoor weddings.  Don't be afraid to wave your eco-loving flag loud and proud.  And don't forget as part of this to put an emphasis on your trash area.  Designate and area for food scraps, and designate a separate area for what can be recycled. 

2.  Keep it organic and local.  From the food to the flowers, it's nice to support your local farmers or even grow your own bridal bouquet.  For my wedding, my dad is growing all the lettuce, and he's getting tomatoes from the local farmers market.  My mom is growing a special wedding flower garden for the wedding flowers. 

3.  Plantable invites!  Ever considered recycled paper invites embedded with organic wildflowers?  I purchased mine at foreverfiances.com.  I cannot tell you how many compliments I have gotten since mailing them in June.  The paper looks beautiful, you're guests get a gift, and it's sure to be a wedding invite that they will remember.

4. Reuse.  Grandmas old pearl earrings can be your something borrowed.  Plus, vintage is in.  Don't be afraid to get creative.  Check out theknot.com for some pictures of eco-wedding decor.  Chances are lot's of stuff you will already have laying around or you could borrow from a friend. 

5. Conflict free.  Nobody wants to wear a blood diamond on their finger.  If you can't find the perfect second hand ring and you are opting to buy something new, then you must do your research.  I love shopping Etsy.com for jewelry.  Support a small business owner who uses recycled gold and can tailor something perfect just for you or your special someone. 

Those are my 5 tips!  There's plenty more you can do to green up your event and really make a statement.  Please feel free to comment me with your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment